This theory has 3 premises.
1. That some part of our consciousness survives after death.
2. That our consciousness can expand its knowledge indefinitely.
3. That manipulation of the past is possible to some degree.
With these 3 premises, we can then expect:
1. That a consciousness after achieving the ability to manipulate the past, would do so with the hope of shortening the time it took to acquire the knowledge it then possessed.
2. That a pre-death consciousness' most interested spiritual aid would be its future self, if for no other reason than no other entity would have as much personal interest and personal responsibility.
3. That for all intents and purposes, our future self would be our own god.